Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Days Like These

I will miss nights like last night.

Hugs from my freshly showered, footie-pajama-ed boys. Fixing their cuts and scrapes from the day and helping Richard (one of our boys with special needs) brush his teeth, because if Melissa and I don't, no one will. Quizzing those who had an exam today on their multiplication facts, and letting them jump around and act wild for a few minutes to let out some energy before bed. Saying "buenas noches" and "te quiero mucho mucho mucho" 57 times and then some. Walking home to a picturesque sunset that only our God could have created and coming home to my sister Andi saying "so what are we gonna make for dinner?" Enjoying fresh guacamole that only Honduran avocados seem to make right and then sitting outside and reading God's love letter to me while hearing shrieks of joy in the background as the older girls head back from their discipleship meeting. Getting into bed and finding a heart-shaped balloon from who, I don't know, and messaging family and friends back home before heading to sleep. Busy nights? Sometimes. Would I trade them? Never.

And I will miss mornings like this morning.

Waking up at the same time that I have been everyday this week and thinking "siempre." Then shaking my head at the fact that the first thought I had today was in spanish and not english. Waking up to a link to a blogpost sent by a friend, and receiving an encouraging word before even getting out of bed. Having fellowship first thing in the morning as Melissa and I walk to our boys house and having a staff member say "how are you two so happy, so early?" Seeing the boys on their knees with their faces to the floor praying and asking God to bless this day, and to bless those who won't be eating breakfast that morning. The unexplainable pride and joy that comes from hearing those words out of the mouths of children whose parents abandoned them. Hearing "buenas dias" 57 times and then some and receiving the very same hugs I had the night before. Little pajamas to wash and hang out to dry. Hot cereal and coffee with my boys. More hugs and saying "tanga un buen dia" and "portase bien" 57 times as they head off to school. A half hour to read the Word before going to work at the office. Early mornings? Always. But I have been blessed by each and every one of them.

24 more nights like last night, and 23 mornings like this morning. The days left in this season are numbered and even on days like today when I feel tired and yes, even a little grumpy, I am so thankful that I have been blessed with my time here at Emmanuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment