Friday, February 14, 2014

Love Them

Auburn City Schools had a snow day today. It rained all day yesterday and it was supposed to get cold last night and they were expecting messy, icy roads this morning.

By 9 am it was 40 degrees and sunny.... the weatherman got it wrong.

Ok now all my northerners, take a minute to giggle a little, maybe let out a sarcastic comment or scoff. I know I did. Now collect yourselves, take a deep breath, and ask yourself:

How often do I get it wrong?

The total sum at the bottom of our bank deposit form, the amount of time it will take us to get from point a to point b, and how many people was it that showed up today... 30 or 50? I was supposed to be asleep by 10:30 but here it is at 12 am and I am wide awake, millions of thoughts swirling through my brain. Why did I make that decision? Why couldn't I have realized that sooner? I should have planned better for this. I got it wrong last month, I got it wrong again last week, and yesterday my words could have been a whole lot kinder in that conversation. I got it wrong.

I am human. Therefore, I will get it wrong again. And again, and again.

But then I hear my Heavenly Father whisper this: "even before you got it wrong, my daughter, I had a plan to make it right."

"by this we know love, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers" (1 John 3:16).

So let's give the weatherman a break. Or that guy that just cut us off going down 85. Smile at the cashier that's being rude, and pray for the person who's been saying ugly things about you when you're not around. Love them all.  Even when it's difficult. Even when you don't feel like it. We love, because He first loved us (1 John 4:19). Because there is not other response to such unconditional, unfathomable love, than to share it. Even with the people you can't stand to be around. Especially them.

Happy Valentine's Day y'all


No comments:

Post a Comment