Friday, July 18, 2014

The countdown has begun: 4 weeks and 3 days. 

For those of you who do not yet know, I am moving (again) in 4 weeks and 3 days. And if I think about it too much or write about it too much I'm bound to get emotional and it's just not time for that because well, I still have 4 weeks and 3 days until this specific "M" word occurs.

But I wanted to reflect a little on the past 11ish months. 
So here goes: Things I've learned in Auburn.

Things I've learned in Auburn, Alabama:

1. How to properly use the pronoun "y'all." (2-4 people, y'all; 5 or more, ALL Y'ALL)

2. If you use the word wicked as an adverb (like we new englanders do), you will be looked at like you have 5 heads, or laughed at, or both.

3. "Bless her heart" is used to cover up something unkind that was said. And it kind of works. 
I.E. "she's from Massachusetts and has no idea what a big deal football is here, bless her heart"

4. Football is a really, really big deal here. (not NFL, college). Like, football is life in the fall. 

5. If I want any of my southern friends to attend my wedding, it cannot be held in the fall (see above).

6. "War Eagle" is a greeting, much like, "hi", "hello", or "hey."

7. Black eyed peas are not just the name of a band. (they're a vegetable. that people eat. usually with fried chicken)

8. Chacos are not chocolate covered tacos, but sandals. 

9. Upon meeting someone for the first time, it is not unusual for them to invite you over for dinner. And most likely mean it.

10. Southern belles & gentleman are not fictional, but very present in the south. Until football season begins... then anyone can get ugly (See #3, 4, 5).

11. BBQ is not made at a backyard get together. There are BBQ joints everywhere. And you can eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner there. And it is GOOD.

12. "Be sweet" and "don't be ugly" are how we say "behave" and "stop being a brat."

13. But underneath all that sweetness, people still understand sarcasm here. They're actually pretty good at it. 

14. It is possible to be adopted into a family you've just met. I've got two of them here. 

15. Bottom line is: I love the south. Everything about it. And I am so going to miss the weather and the people and the southern accents and the southern phrases and the southern food and just the south in general. 

In 4 weeks and 3 days I will be headed to my next adventure: Pennsylvania. I am feeling a giant mix of emotions but I know that God has a plan and He can use me and you, wherever we live. Life is  (quite literally for me) a journey, and I have grown so much during this stop in my life. I am so thankful I've had this experience in Auburn, and I am so excited to see what lies ahead in Greencastle. 

Gracias a Dios. 



No comments:

Post a Comment